Tuesday, December 31, 2013

"Too busy"... Surrogate Side

It's the big day! I got up early to have everything done that needed it (i.e. get showered, final touches in hospital bag, take care of the pup, get kids ready for daycare, feed everyone breakfast, get my husband up - yes, not kidding - pack up the car, etc.) and be on our way to have this baby! Just as I was about to descend the stairs to wrangle the clan into the car, my phone rang.

The call was from the doctor on call for my OB (who is on vacation through Wednesday). She oh-so-frankly stated that our induction was being pushed because "the hospital is too busy for us" today. What delightful news just an hour before we were expected to begin. Lovely. 

We have been rescheduled for Thursday, January 2nd at 9:30am. 

On call doctor: "Is that okay?"
Me: "Do I have a choice?"
Doctor: "Well, no."
Me: "Then I guess it's gonna have to be okay."

From there, an onslaught of "to-dos" go through my head. I immediately call K&J to let them know of the disappointing news. I could hear the heartbreak in her voice. Worst job ever. 

I called my attorney so he could reschedule our post-birth hearing for a later date. (I'm sure he loved my 7am phone call to his cell phone as he was preparing breakfast for his children.) He assured me that he'd get things arranged. 

At that point, I remember that my OB said that should anything like this happen, that I call the office to have an ultrasound scheduled to check my fluid levels since I am now past the 40 week mark. So, as soon as the office opened, I phoned to make an appointment (where I was transferred four times only to end up where I started, but that's another story for another time; I seem to have that luck). I waited to be called back by my OB's assistant because they needed him (who, remember, is on vacation) to write an order for this. Not too long after hanging up (that was nice), she called me back to set up the appointment this afternoon.

The ultrasound went great. He's perfectly healthy and happy in there with plenty of fluid and perfect measurements. Did I mention that he's perfect?!? I also found out how large of a baby boy I will be delivering - nothing compared to my own! I'll wait to share the official weight when he's finally born. 

So, here we are still waiting. There is still the (unlikely) chance that he will decide to appear on his own. But, should that not happen, I can rest easy knowing that we have again worked out all of the minute details affiliated with making this process as seamless as possible. 

On a brighter side, at least I am able to be sitting here with my two little cherubs as they watch "Rudolph's Shiny New Year"; which, by the way, is the worst show in the history of holiday specials. 

My 4-year-old son wishes to "stay up to watch the ball drop". My daughter wishes to "go snuggle with Momma in the rocking chair" and go to bed. Both shall be arranged. 

Happy New Year to All! 

No comments:

Post a Comment