Monday, January 19, 2015

Meds Update... Surrogate Side

Meds came!

These lovelies commence this evening when I begin Lupron injections. I've been taking birth control pills for the last week. 

According to my meds instructions, I will continue with the Lupron and BCP combination until I take my last BCP on the 25th. I'll continue the Lupron and should get another (!) period a few days later. Once I get my period again, I'll start my estrogen regimen; oral pills twice a day and a patch that gets changed every 3 days. 

After about 7-9 days of being on the estrogen and Lupron, I will be scheduled for an ultrasound to measure my uterine lining to be sure I am responding to the hormones appropriately. If I measure well, I will continue meds as originally instructed. If I'm thin, the nurses will have me increase my dosage and schedule another ultrasound for monitoring. 

From there, our clinic will be in touch with me and let me know the day of K's egg retrieval. On the night of her egg retrieval, I will stop Lupron and begin my progesterone injections. You know, the huge needles into my backside... 

On that same night, I will also begin some other meds; Doxycycline and Medrol. These pills are to prepare my body for the "assisted hatching" technique that the embryos will undergo. (In essence, assisted hatching entails poking a little hole into the outer shell of the fertilized embryos to help them hatch and implant better.) The Doxycycline is an antibiotic to help fight against infection and Medrol is a steroid  to help prevent my body from rejecting the embryos. 

I will continue all of those meds (the Doxycycline and Medrol are only for 4 days) throughout the first trimester should pregnancy occur; and we are HOPING it does!!!!

Until next time, world!

1 comment:

  1. Sending positive energy your way. Love this!!!

    ReplyDelete