Friday, June 28, 2013

2nd trimester fun... Surrogate Side

I cannot believe the second trimester is here!  With all of the waiting and whatnot, I really thought this time would never come.  Not to mention the yucks of the first trimester!!  Thank the heavens above for no more nausea/sickness!  Yippee!

We had a battery of baby appointments last Friday, June 21st.  Our first entailed a discussion with a nurse to review our medical history.  I have to tell you, if K hadn't been there, it would have been hard.  Doctor's offices don't have surrogacy specific forms for circumstances like this, so the questions were answered as a collaborative effort.  I have to admit, my OB's office had their stuff together and treated K as the parent from the get-go.  When speaking of the baby and things pertaining to the baby in the future, direct eye contact was made with her.  It was a little weird being the patient and not taking the lead on answering the questions, but I gladly took the backseat (seeing as though this IS her baby after all, LOL)!  After all of the paperwork was complete, the nurse did an internal exam to be sure all was happy in there since I had a little bit of an issue the day before with what I thought was odd discharge - but, all is well and my OB just thinks I peed myself.  She would; that is her personality and I love her for it.  (In my defense, I certainly DID NOT pee myself.)

After my internal exam (or maybe it was before, who knows? I'm pregnant and I blame all memory fail on it), the nurse placed the fetal doppler on my belly to hear the butterball's heartbeat.  Usually, they would have to navigate around to find the heartbeat, but that sucker popped right up as soon as it landed on the gel on my belly!  After a few "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh"es, I looked over at K and caught her crying.  So sweet!  I remember doing that for my own as well. That is the most beautiful sound in the world until you hear your baby cry for the very first time.  And then it's when he or she says, "momma" or "I love you"...  You get the point. :)

When we were done with the intake exam with the nurse, we had a meeting with my OB.  I warned K that my OB was "direct".  In fact, the nurse also warned K of my OB being very direct and blunt.  I like that in an OB - no BS for me; just tell me like it is.  I just hoped K was okay with it, too.  Either way, we'll be switching to another OB closer to the end of the pregnancy because K&J decided that they felt more comfortable delivering in a hospital with a NICU onsite.  Completely understandable.  That said, our meeting with my OB went great.  All of our questions were answered -- I can participate in water-park fun until I am 16 weeks along and can get my hair highlighted for my brother's wedding in September...  Phew!! Those were weighing on my mind like you wouldn't believe (wink, wink)!

From there, we stopped by the cafe to grab a bite to eat before our NT scan appointment.  During that time we chatted and caught up on our family stories.  I was heading to Boston for the weekend and then to NYC for a few days in the city and to visit my husband's family.  I learned that K's cousin is also pregnant and due just a couple weeks after us!  How exciting is that??  Their family must be on baby overload!  WooHoo!  When I finished my blueberry muffin and yogurt with granola, we headed towards the diagnostic imaging center down the hall.  Although we had to wait a bit, it really wasn't so bad.  I shared with K that there is a man who looks JUST LIKE Channing Tatum.  I saw him the last time I had an ultrasound there.  I think looking for him kept our interest pretty good.  Too bad he never appeared. 

We were finally called for our ultrasound.  We explained our situation; K was the mom and I was the carrier.  The technician was really nice and was interested in our story.  People always seem to ask the same question - "did you know each other beforehand?"  No, but we know each other now!!!  And very well, to boot!  As the technician started the scan, I could tell that K was nervous.  She wanted everything to be A-okay and I can completely relate.  During the scan, that little butterball in there was a jumping bean.  I could not control my laughter!!!  Every time the technician went to get a heart rate, the little bugger would fling itself like a jumping bean!!  All ended up turning out great and I was finally told the beautiful words that I could now empty my bladder!

After the scan, we headed over to the lab to have my 9,000 vials of blood drawn.  As I walked in, the lady said that I would also need to leave a urine sample.  WHAT????  Couldn't they have told me this before I just relieved myself 2 minutes ago??  That said, I walked out of the lab to meet up with K and explained the situation.  She laughed at me.  We found a water bubbler and I began chugging away.

It was so nice to see K and have her there to experience this with me.  I loved watching her as she listened to and saw her baby.  I am so lucky to have such great IPs.  At the end of the day, we said our goodbyes and looked forward to our next get together -- which will be August 7th for the BIG ultrasound where K&J find out the sex of their baby.  This girl is gonna wait to delivery to find out.  We hope...

Oh yeah!  Can't forget the growing baby belly!!!

(almost) 14 Weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment