Monday, May 6, 2013

Extraordinary support... Surrogate Side

So, I've been asked by some to "post more".  Okay... I'll try!  It's kinda tough during this waiting period, but I will do what I can for my followers as they have done so much for me; no, really - you have!  Your support and encouragement means so much to me.  I'm one lucky gal!

When I first started thinking about "going live" with my longtime dream of becoming a gestational carrier, I didn't know where to turn.  I didn't know of anyone who had ever done this before (come on, let's be honest - it's really not that common in one's circle of friends).  But, the more I thought about it, I realized that I did  know of someone who had done this before - Andrea, a former coworker of mine many years ago who I hadn't really kept in touch with over the years.  I had heard through the grapevine that she had been a surrogate.  I decided to inbox her on Facebook to first, confirm that she actually had done it and second, get some feedback from her.  She got back to me and offered a lot of great suggestions and feedback.  Andrea was there for me throughout every step of the process and was excited for me.  As much of a great relationship that I have with my IPs, I don't think I would have been able to get through some of this as easily as I did without Andrea.

Upon setting out for this journey, I knew that there would be many appointments throughout the pregnancy since I had already been through it twice before.  But, what you don't realize is the work that goes into becoming pregnant.  There are numerous appointments beforehand -- let's check your baseline levels, let's see if the meds have started working for you, let's measure your uterine lining, etc., etc., etc.  All of those "let's sees" were various different appointments BEFORE a transfer even happened.  That said, I couldn't just arrange them at my convenience.  We were on a rigid timeline and these tests needed to be done on specific dates. Without the support of my job, this journey would not have been feasible.

I have to say that I am very fortunate to work for such an accommodating company who has supported me every step of the way.  Also, my coworkers have made this journey of mine a part of their own lives.  Not a day has gone by that someone hasn't asked me how I was doing, about the next steps of the process or simply expressed their sheer joy of what I am doing.  They have shared that they are just as excited as I am.  They are excited for me to be able to live this dream and give this gift, but above all else, they are excited for the future parents.  They have helped get me through all of this waiting with humor and encouragement.  POAS in the workplace public restroom to re-affirm my initial "shadow" test had the potential to be a bit awkward, but not for me!  I was lucky that they weren't waiting outside the door for me!  My coworkers rock.

Lastly, without the support of my family, I would be lost.  Although, initially, it had been "weird" for them to think about their daughter/sister/aunt/niece being pregnant with another couple's child, they have really opened up to it and have accepted and embraced the incredible gift I am giving. It means the world to me to hear that they are proud of my decision to do this for another family.  (I write this with tears in my eyes...)

To all of you out there, your support does not go unnoticed.  I appreciate every last word you share with me and I will be eternally grateful for such a remarkable group of friends and family who have opened their hearts to welcome my journey.  For this,  I thank you.  I'm one lucky gal.

2 comments:

  1. Actually G, we were waiting outside the bathroom door!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahaha!!! I didn't want to sell you guys out! LOL!

    ReplyDelete