Friday, December 13, 2013

Wait, what?!... Surrogate Side

So, I went to the doctor on Wednesday for my weekly check-up and walked out of there pretty confused.  (Not REALLY "confused", but kinda shocked.)

I told you all of my exciting Saturday where I thought that I could go into labor very, very soon due to all of the painful contractions, the pressure down in my cervix and my cramping and lower back pain.  Welp, this baby was just teasing, teasing, teasing!  NO progress since my last appointment. Nothing. Nada.  WHAT??!?  I was sure there was progression.  Nope.  I cringed, held my breath and grabbed the table while the doctor performed my cervical exam.  As soon as I felt that he had to basically insert his entire forearm to reach my cervix, I pretty much knew the bad news.  He said, "still 1cm and 50% effaced."  I was like, "are you kidding me?  All of that work and I get nuthin' in return?"  He politely says, "I am sure they are working; just taking a little longer than you would think."

If that's not enough bad news (no, not really bad, but you get what I'm saying), at this same appointment I was told that they got the results of my Group B Strep test ... and that it was positive!  Wait, what?!  Come again??  What the heck is that?  And, what does that mean??  I never had this with either of my other pregnancies.  I was like, "is that an STD???"(I clearly was not well-informed of this condition prior to... so, bear with me.)  He laughed at me and said, "no, absolutely not.  In fact, it is very common - 1 in 4 women have this - and it is not something you can control."  He, obviously, does not know what not being in control does to me...

Okay, so now what?  He explained that I will need to be on an antibiotic prior to delivery.  Due to my allergy to penicillin, they had to test whether or not my new "foreign friend" was sensitive to a medication that I could tolerate.  Luckily, it was.  Phew!  He was sure to tell me that I should call the hospital right away and not "labor at home" due to this being my third delivery and they like to have antibiotics going for at least 4 hours before birth.  I told him that I live a bit of a distance away from the hospital and was already 8cm when I arrived for the birth of my daughter almost 3 years ago.  He shared that he's not worried and that the baby will be just fine as long as we got at least one dose in me before he comes.  His theory was that if it's a fast delivery, it's just that much less time the baby is "exposed".  I feel so terrible that my body decided that it wanted to "expose" this whatever it is  to this child.

I've had some time to process this information and have come to the realization that it is out of my control and 25% of women go through this and I'd never heard of it before so it can't be too, too bad.

And, to top things off even more, I was right about my weight.  I have gained a whopping 24lbs so far this pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment