Monday, April 22, 2013

The 2 week wait... Surrogate Side

I am a very impatient person.  I prefer things done, like, yesterday.  So, needless to say, this 2 week wait (2ww) was going to be the death of me.

It had been a running joke between K and I about my obsession with home pregnancy tests (HPTs).  I like to pee on a stick (POAS) like nobody's business!  Despite the recommendation of our agency, K and I decided that it would be okay to take a few HPTs just before our scheduled beta blood test to get an idea of what could be happening ahead of time (and K even sneaked a few into my overnight gift bag).

I had to use such great self-control to not begin testing 2 days after our transfer.  We had our transfer on the 9th and K suggested we start testing the following 17th or 18th (our beta was scheduled on the 20th).  I gave myself a personal goal of the 16th whole week (because I already knew I wasn't gonna make it to K's dates)!  I had every intention of keeping that goal, but...

On the 14th, my family and I went out for some ice cream and on the drive there, I got this wave of nausea and a substantial hot flash.  I looked at my husband and told him I wasn't feeling well.  This incident was very reminiscent of how we figured out I was pregnant with my "surprise" daughter.  That evening, my husband suggested that I take a HPT, and much to my surprise, I declined!  I told him it was too early and I didn't want to see a negative (and I had to at least wait until the morning for the first pee of the day - better odds... wink, wink).

My alarm rang on Monday morning and I just laid there thinking to myself, "should I" or "shouldn't I"??  I came to the decision that I would test Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week completely expecting to see a big fat negative on the stick this morning since it was only 6 days after my 3 day transfer.  Waaaayyy too early for a positive.  With this in mind, I jumped out of bed and quickly got the test going.  I wait about 30 seconds before reading the test and I'm, like, "dang"...  You know these things are like car crashes and you can't help but look at them every other second.  I take the HPT and throw it up into the light and I think I see something.  I mean BARELY see something.  Is there something really there?  Am I just imagining it??

So, I take a picture of it (and that was not an easy feat as I had to get the right angle for my iPhone to even attempt to maybe capture it - if "it" was even there).  I texted this image to my IPs.

Yeah, I know.  You probably can't see it...  You had to squint, tilt your head and hold it up to the light, but it WAS there.
It was nearly two hours before I got a response from them...  I was about to call them and wake them up when I finally got a reply.  The response I got was "Is that positive ?!!!!!"  My response to them: "Uh-huh!"

Because I was so worried that I was imagining it and getting my IPs hopes up, I texted K and she's, like, "did you take any with you? Lol do it again now."  I told her I hadn't, but I went out and bought more.  I took one and anxiously waited for the mysterious second line to appear.  Much to our relief, a second line appeared and slightly darker than our first try.

From there, a HPT was taken every morning up to and including the morning of our beta.  All tests continued to progress to darker lines and then, ultimately, to a line darker than the control line.  There was no denying it.  We are PREGNANT!!

Our beta blood test on Saturday, April 20th, which was 11 days after our transfer, confirmed a pregnancy with levels of 151!  We have a second, follow-up, blood test on Tuesday, April 23rd to be sure my levels are increasing as they should.  From there, an early ultrasound will be scheduled for around May 15th.  Woot woot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment